In most circumstances, you cannot ask Alexa to contact emergency services. FCC guidelines mandate that 911-capable devices offer both location data and a callback number, which is technically possible for Alexa but Amazon has chosen not to implement it. You should utilize a cell phone or landline whenever possible in a severe emergency.
Dialing 911 through Echo Connect
The Amazon Echo Connect adapter circumvents these limits. The gadget connects an Echo speaker to a landline, transforming it into a fully functional speakerphone.
While it has been officially discontinued, occasionally, you can locate pre-owned models on sites like eBay. Support continues even if you must use the Alexa web interface for configuration. If so, you will be prompted when attempting to add it to Alexa’s Android and iOS apps (using the Devices tab).
If you want to use a standard phone with your Echo speaker, you’ll need a splitter adapter for the phone jack. Once everything has been configured, you only need to say something like, “Alexa, dial 911.” Be wary of authorizing this in households with young children since pranks or unintentional 911 calls could find you in hot water.
How to create an emergency plan Alexa contact
Make sure you have an emergency contact listed on your Alexa accounts, such as a doctor, a loved one, or even your neighbor, if you don’t have a landline and an Echo Connect.
This is the simplest solution if you don’t have either. In an emergency, the individual can contact emergency services or assist you until law enforcement arrives.
Do the following to add and use an emergency contact in Alexa:
- Open the Alexa mobile app for iPad, iPhone, or Android.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the Communicate tab.
- In the top-right corner, tap the contacts icon (a picture of two people).
- In the upper right corner, select the triple-dot menu.
- Decide on the Emergency Contact.
- Follow the steps to choose an existing contact or create a new one. Remember that you cannot add emergency services like 911, and anybody you choose will receive a message letting them know of your choice.
- You can ask Alexa to “call for help” or to “call my emergency contact” when you need help.
How to request assistance from Alexa?
Once activated, Alexa will immediately contact the predetermined person through phone calls and text messages. Words and phrases that will elicit this reaction are:
- “Alexa, dial 911.”
- Alexa, dial my emergency number.”
- “Alexa, call my contact for assistance.”
Please note that this only works if your Alexa device is online and connected to Wi-Fi.