Table of Contents Hide
In recent times, people are searching the internet to know how to resetting your graphics driver. In fact, such searches have increased rapidly in recent times. If you are using a Windows pc, then you the cause of such a search should not be unknown to you. However, for those who do not know, let me inform you that a Windows Pc might e enough to make you frustrated.
The reason behind that is the sudden freezing of the system. One moment you were working on your Pc and the other moment everything stands still. Nothing happens, nothing moves and you get confused as to what would be the cause of that. This is a very serious issue for those who use their Pc for serious work or gaming.
In such a situation you can literally do nothing. You cannot restart or turn off the Pc. At the same time, your work also remains stuck in the middle. There might be various issues that might have caused such a situation. The probable causes of such an error are insufficient RAM, resolution incompatibility, corruption of system files and an issue with the graphics card.
In fact, the last cause is the one which this article aims to inform you about. Therefore, if you wish to know more about the issues with the graphics card and the ways to reset the graphics driver, then this article is the perfect stop for you. Keep reading this article to know all about resetting your graphics card driver.
It would be wrong to assume that all are aware of graphics cards. Therefore, before going further into the issue, a word or two about graphics cards seems essential. If you are a tech-savvy person, then you might skip this part. However, it would not be a bad idea to revisit your known areas. Therefore, keep reading.
There are various alternative names for a graphics card like a VGA card, display card, Graphics adapter, and video card. In simple terms, such a card is the one that is responsible for the production of images on your system. The computation of a graphics card goes on through the Graphics Processing Unit or GPU. It is a central component of your graphics card.
Now, let me tell you that this card might be the culprit if your system experiences a collapse. However, the collapse will not be a sudden issue. Before that, you will see various signs of the problem.
The Signs of Problem With Graphics Card
There are some signs and symptoms that will let you know that your graphics card is having some kind of problem. They are:
1. Blue Screen
A blue screen appears on the PC as soon as the system collapses. The system freezes and you can perform no action at that time. So, if this happens, you might suspect that your graphics card is having some problem.
2. Glitches On The Screen
Glitches are horizontal and vertical patches of weird colour that appear on your PC screen if your graphics card is having a problem. You might see these glitches either in patches or all over the screen.
3. Screen Stuttering
If your graphics card is having some issues, then you might also find your screen stuttering.
Therefore, these are the warning signs that you have to look for. These symptoms might occur individually and also in groups. Therefore as soon as you locate any or all of these signs, be sure that your graphics card is having some issues. Therefore, there is a need to troubleshoot the problem. Read the rest of the article to know about the way out.
Ways To Fix Issue With The Graphics Card
There are some ways that will help you out if your graphics card is showing signs of a problem. They are:
1. Restarting Graphics Card
Let’s begin with the easiest of solutions. There is a shortcut way to restart your graphics card. For that, you need to press the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B keys at the same time. You will hear a beeping sound and the screen would turn black. Then the graphics card will restart. This process is functional with all major graphics cards.
2. Updating Graphics Driver
If your problem remains unsolved then you may try updating the graphics driver. To do that, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows key+R key.
- Then type devmgmt.msc in the dialogue box that will appear.
- A list of all display adaptors will be visible on the screen. Locate your graphics card and right-click on it. Select the ‘properties’ option.
- A drop-down menu will come. From that menu select the ‘Drivers’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver.
3. Resetting Graphics Card
You may also reset your graphics card from BIOS in the following manner:
- Restart your PC. As your Pc starts to restart, click the Esc key and start the resetting. As you do so, an on-screen message will ask you to press the F10 key.
- You need to press the F10 key twice and the BIOS setup will start.
- Select the ‘Advanced Chipset Features’ from the dropdown menu that will appear.
- Click on the ‘Video BIOS Cacheable’ option from another list that will appear on the screen.
- Then press the + and – keys together to start the BIOS setup.
- Now press the F10 key and then select ‘Yes’. The resetting will start.
4. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Graphics Driver
Follow the steps to uninstall the driver:
- To launch the Run menu box, press the Windows key and R key together.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the box and press the enter key. The Device manager window will appear.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category from the list. Right-click on your graphics card and select the Uninstall option.
- Now, on a confirmation message that will appear, click on the ‘Delete the driver software for this device’ option.
- Now, select ‘Uninstall’.
To install the driver, follow the following steps:
- You may choose to automatically install the driver. If you reboot your system, your system will automatically reinstall the graphics driver.
- Or else, you have to download the latest version of the driver from software like Driver Easy.
These are the ways in which you can reset your graphics card driver if it shows any sign of a problem.
Meta: If you are looking to know how to resetting your graphics driver, go through this entire article. Here you will get all your questions answered.